Monday, October 19, 2015

Waiting for the MP3 to do the tune thing, MP3, MP3, sing!*

I'm pleased to announce complete MP3 audio support for TenFourFox, i.e., HTML5 audio using MP3 (with minimp3 as the decoder since 10.4 AudioToolbox lacks MP3 decoding) -- the last remaining piece was getting intratrack seeking to function and I finished that up over the weekend. So far I've tested it against Soundcloud, Amazon Music and a few other sites as well as my own audio library and it all seems to work properly. Seeking is sequential, so it's a little slow on long tracks, but playback functions pretty much as expected. MP3 support will still ship disabled in 38.4.0 but if all goes well it will be publicly rolled out in 38.5.0 as I previously promised. The QTE will of course still work for playing tracks outside of the browser.

(*apologies to TMBG, "Dinner Bell" from Apollo 18)

2 comments:

  1. You're not going to believe this! I dont know where else to post this so I'll simply post it here: after hours of tinkering with bash and Apple scripts I've actually managed to get the latest version of the Minecraft Launcher to run in OpenJDK 7. All it needed was a simple argument to launch graphically via X11: "-Djava.awt.headless=false -jar" , otherwise OpenJDK will attempt to launch in CLI mode. Despite my best efforts the game it's self would not actually launch due to a lack of a compatible LWJGL library. Upon further investigation the launcher actually downloaded the Linux PPC version of the lib. I'm not experienced enough to compile such a library nor have I yet tried. But regardless I think if we can get this working Minecraft might be making a comeback on PowerPC Macs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of curiosity, do you know anyone who can help me compile a version of LWJGL for PPC (or at least give me advice). I know there are three primary requirements I must meet: must be a Darwin/Mac OS version, must be PPC binary, and lastly must be X11/XQuartz based. But what else should I know?

      Delete

Due to an increased frequency of spam, comments are now subject to moderation.